With the change of seasons, there are so many opportunities to take extra care of your pet. Here are a few things to keep in mind now that autumn is in full swing!
The changing of seasons is great time to check your pet ID tags and microchip. Make sure all your pet’s information is up to date.
Keep School Supplies Out of Reach. Most of these items are considered low toxicity to pets, gastrointestinal upset and blockages can occur if ingested. Be sure your children keep their school supplies out of your pet’s reach.
Steer Clear of Mushrooms. Fall and spring are mushroom seasons. Most have little or no toxicity, but some are highly toxic and can cause life-threatening problems in pets.
Beware of ticks. It’s still tick season and playing in the fall leaves is one of the many ways your pet could get them.
Beware of anti-freeze! Ingesting antifreeze is lethal. Unfortunately both cats and dogs have been known to lick this sweet tasting substance. Check your car for leaks and make sure all bottles are stored far away from your pets.
Make holiday arrangements with Pet sitter NOW. Take time out and plan ahead so you can make the holidays easier on your pets.
Don’t leave your pets outside for prolonged periods of time. It doesn’t have to be Winter for it to get cold, especially for puppies, senior pets and smaller animals.
Be careful with decorations. Be aware of toxicity of Fall plants. In addition shiny decorations look like really fun toys to your pets. Make sure decorations are out of reach of your pets.
Be careful with holiday treats. Aside from known hazards such as chocolate; cooked bones, raw dough and many fruits and vegetables can also be life threatening to pets.
Make sure your pets can’t escape your home. This is especially important if you plan on having several guests in and out of the house this holiday season. Use a baby gate or create a barrier between the door and your pet. Especially if you have pet that’s known for bolting.
Fall celebrations often mean people coming over to visit your home. Advise guests before they visit if you have a pet that has special needs or is wary of new people.
Be Cautious of Pest Poisons. The use of rat and mouse poisons increase in the fall as rodents seek shelter from the cooler temperatures by attempting to move indoors. Rodenticides are highly toxic to pets and, if ingested, the results could be fatal. If you must use these products, do so with extreme caution and put them in places inaccessible to your pets.
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
I'm busy working on my blog posts. Watch this space!